Friday, March 2, 2012

Married to a Grandma


My mother-in-law Marilyn has always bristled when I called her "grandma".  She insisted that she was not my grandma, and she of course was right.  But I never intended it as anything but a statement of honor.  Grandma's have played a huge part in my life.  I knew both of my grandma's and knew they loved me.  They both taught me to love things I wouldn't have even known about otherwise.  My mom was a fantastic grandma, and I have always lamented the fact that she passed so soon before she could teach my children.  But my mother-in-law has certainly lived to be just the kind of grandma I remember.  So the name for me is more that just an indication of relationship.



Our children are very lucky to have so many grandma's around.  Just in this picture alone are (bottom, right to left), Grandma Wright (Marilyn), Paula, Sally (Alicia's mother-in-law and Weston's grandma), and (top, right to left) Hailey (not yet a grandma, but certainly laying the foundation), Heather (Paula's sister and a grandma), and Mary, (Marilyn's neighbor who has joined us from time to time as another grandma to bless our lives).  Each of these women acting as teachers have made a huge difference.



But here is the thing.  I am married to a grandma.  Holy Cow!  Remarkable.  Really hard to comprehend sometimes.  But I can tell you that among all of the ways that Paula has brought me joy over the nearly 37 years we have been married, watching her as a grandma has certainly been one of the most precious of all the ways.  Teaching grandchildren to play the piano, play checkers, sew, sing, read and cook provides the most beautiful pictures that I have ever seen.  No sunset, bird, flower, or magnificent building can even come close.
Thanks sweetheart for letting me call you grandma.  It is to me the highest honor I can express.

 

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Where did that come from?

What a very sweet tribute from out of the blue.

Thanks for the beautiful post and the grandparents you are. Thanks for also being a great example of love and commitment to each other.

Christian and Kennebec Vial said...

I second Chelle, you guys are great grandparents! This is an adorable post.