Monday, March 30, 2009

Gabriel (As in the Angel)


One of the really fun things about discovering Windsor Vermont has been discovering the Cornish Colony across the river (over the covered bridge) in New Hampshire. Home of the Sculptor St. Gaudens, painter Maxfield Parrish (one time owner of the home we got there) and many others, this was the epicenter of American Art in the early part of the 1900's. A young woman of Mexican royal lineage, Alma Smith was selling Maxfield Parrish art in California beginning in the 60's, and eventually moved out to New Hampshire, bought the Parrish home called the Oaks, and founded the Cornish Colony Museum. Housed in this historic firehouse in Windsor (just down the street from Chelle's home), this is a suprising gem and the home of millions of dollars worth of original art. Just another little hidden delight about Windsor Vermont!


The founder, Alma, (now about 80 I think), is a pistol. She has become a good friend of the family, and as seen here with Paula a confidant! Unfortunately, the current economic turndown has affected the museum, and so Alma put out the word recently. A very renouned living artist, K.Y. Craft (Kinoku Craft) is also a friend of Alma, and hearing of the difficulties did a very special drawing of the Angel Gabriel and donated it to the museum to be auctioned off to raise funds for the upcoming summer program. Here is Alma with the piece. This is a big deal. Craft does work that often goes for many tens of thousands of dollars, and has some very famous stuff. I am not making this up.....look it up!


It is a very subtle drawing, and when I took pictures of it I noticed how different it was in different light and from different angles.




Well, to make a long story short, we loved it (especially Chelle who has met K Y Craft and really liked her and felt a good spirit around her), and when the auction ended, we had bought it! We took the kids over to take pictures with the drawing. Maddie was really drawn to it. Even though Gabriel is a male personage, it is uncanny how Craft seems to have mimicked Maddie in the drawing.







I predict that this will become a family heirloom. For now it will hang in Chelle's home in Vermont, and it is possible that we may loan it to the museum at some point.


Anders by the way was not quite so taken with the whole idea, and eventually Maddie got tired.




Once again, I find myself feeling like the luckiest guy in the world. I am greatful for the best family, the chance to discover amazing places and people, and the chance to feel the joy of this life. I can truly see it in the picture!

3 comments:

Chelle said...

The piece truly is beautiful.. I look at it and feel envious. I wish I had mastered the drawing technique to be able to produce pieces of art of this caliber...once again, thank you for sharing all of this with us. I hope one day we can return all of the favors and kindness in some form.

-Brig

Unknown said...

The drawing is pretty amazing, I'm with brig in that I wish I had the skill to produce something like this. I'm impressed with the story, and how unique the drwing is. Good job Dad, I'm looking foward to seeing it.

Alicia Vial Beesley said...

Super duper cool! I looked her up, great little story on her website about how the painting was sold for more than the estimated price. Way to do it. It is definitely my favorite of what I saw of her stuff, something about how profound a sketch can be.