Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Almost All the Way!

This is a report at the end of day 5 in the cross country road trip with the documenting of America's county courthouse as the objective. Paula has been a good sport as we get up at dawn and hustle ever west in seach of the next courthouse. Often the last one of the day is taken in very little light, but it makes for some interesting shots.


Most of the courthouses across the midwest are beautiful and surrounded by a central square. Many can be seen for miles as the bell tower becomes visible. It is really dissapointing when you come across one that has been torn down and rebuilt with a modern box.


If you are interested, take a look at www.hoalawman.wordpress.com. That is the American Courthouse site where I am planning to put at least one good picture of every courthouse in the country!Paula is my navigator and is in charge of making sure I eat!




At this courthouse in Nebraska, we caught the local version of a demonstration. They were protesting the continued service of a county commissioner, and at least one who lived on a dirt road was not too hopeful!
Occasionally we come across something particularly curious. Many courthouses have famous people like Lincoln or Washington busts on the courthouse, and a lot of the scales of justice. Some have a famous local person, but this was the first one with a Rams Bust on the side. Wyoming of course.
Sometimes the destruction of the old Historic Courthouse is really sad. Here in Nebraska we saw the courthouse that so far gets the UGLY award.
I try to get at least one shot with the car in it at every stop so that I can prove that the photo's are really mine.

Sometimes I just can't resist the car!

Then there is the occasional shot where Paula catches me taking a picture of her taking a picture of me.

Bottom line, this is an amazing country. We are seeing the country in a whole new way!

Every courthouse has it's stories, and I am really ready to get back into the courthouse as a participant! I am jealous as I see the lawyers coming and going!

1 comment:

Hailey Vial said...

Thanks for explaining why your car is in every picture. I just thought you had a complex or a crush.