Sunday, July 26, 2009

Caitlin Baptism

Yesterday was Caitlin's (Nate's girlfriend) baptism. A humble and faith filled thing for someone to do at 21 years old. She is a great example to all of us. Paula and I had 4 of the grandkids , and in this first picture, Victor can't sit still, Eva forgot her shoes, and Kayla is just happy to be there!


Kevin did the baptising, and he also confirmed her.


One of the missionaries is from Tonga, and really an interesting guy.


Oh and by the way, I may have torn my Achille's tendon. The story starts last Tuesday the 14th. The Portland Law Firm Co-Ed softball league is playing it's 7:30 PM game. (By the way a bunch of lawyers playing softball is...well let's just say a bit competitive). I am pitching. We are up by 2, there is 1out and the bases are loaded. The batter hit a little blooper back to me at the mound, and as I stepped off to field the ball I thought someone had shot me in the back of the leg. I nonetheless limped to the plate ahead of the runner on 3rd, and kept the run from scoring Unfortunately we went on to lose the game by 3 runs. (By the way, I really hate to lose!)

Though I was really sore, over the next few days, I convinced myself that it was just a pulled muscle, and even played a couple of more games in the meantime (although with a pinch runner). Knowing that an Achilles Tendon repair can take 12 to 16 months, I was simply unwilling to go to the doctor and preferred to "believe" that I knew what was best for me. I even got back to my morning walk by the end of last week, and figured I was well on my way to being 100%. Paula told me many times to go have a doctor check it out, but I simply knew better.

Yesterday, after working at the farm I decided to go swimming with the grandkids in the afternoon. They were excited and as soon as I approached the pool began yelling ...jump...jump...jump...so I did, and...well let's just say I was immediately sure that Paula had been right. 4 ibuprofen later it wasn't better, and within a couple of hours my leg had swollen to about 3 times it's normal size. Long story short, if I had gone in last week...well we will see after I go to the doctor tomorrow. Oh yeah, we spent 4 hours in the ER last night just so the guy could tell me he thinks I tore the tendon. Thanks. Paula made me post this picture. A little of the cast I took off a few hours after we got home is still hanging on.

3 comments:

mahina said...

that is wonderful that caitlin got baptized! congratulations to her!

and good luck with your leg. sounds painful! here's to a quick recovery.

Chelle said...

You look pregnant on one half of your body.

Did you temporarily forget mom is 99.9 percent always right?

Hope it is a quick-ish recovery.

Darilyn said...

Im so happy for Caitlin. wish we could have been there. And I hope that leg feels better soon.