Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Love This Counrty

I am not much of a photographer, but I feel even less comfortable as a writer. Nevertheless, I feel a need to attempt to record some of my feelings at seeing the speeches of still Senator John McCain, and President Elect Barak Obama tonight. I have been a loyal Republican all of my voting life, but I feel nothing but hope as I come away from this election.

The campaigns were tough. Obama was brilliant. His organization was incredible and deserved to win by virtue of it's breath and depth if nothing else. But, as I saw the tears in the eyes of my black brothers and sisters in the crowd in Chicago, I too felt the emotion of living in a place where as unlikely a candidate as Barak could become president, and am proud to be an American. I am glad that a little black boy or girl can believe in doing whatever they want. I am glad that my Muslim brothers and sisters can believe in a place where there is no reason to despair the opportunity to be whatever they want to be!

It does not matter who we voted for in this election, we are lucky to have the opportunity to see true democracy in action. I agree with John McCain's observation that we should be proud to live in a country where the process works. We have a person born poor, who worked hard, got an education, got involved and got elected. This is just not a likely story in virtually anywhere else in the world.

I believe in the destiny of the US. I also believe that Barak Obama will be helped in facing the challenges that we have as a country. 2 wars, economic distress, many without good health care, etc, etc. I for one will pray for him.

This is written mostly for my children, who have the world in front of them. I am positive about the future. I love this county, and I am proud to be an American. Love, Dad

7 comments:

McKay said...

beautifully said Rich!

Alicia Vial Beesley said...

Thanks for writing this Dad. These were my sentiments exactly. I was very impressed by McCain speech and thankful for his dedication to this country. I am also proud and hopeful for all American's but especially for minority American's who have been given another legendary example to follow in Obama

Chelle said...

Thanks dad for always sharing your thoughts and feelings with all of us. There were two beautiful speeches tonight and it did make me proud to be an American. Exciting politics.

Chris said...

I loved hearing McCain's speech and felt a real genuine main, public servant in his words--his speech writers did well by him and he presented so sincerely--I was a bit disappointed at his crowd of supporters that didn't grasp the message about uniting and doing what we could to push the country ahead no matter who we support. C'mon people, you are meant to cheer for that. I am hopeful for the years ahead. Thanks Rich.

felicity said...

Very eloquently said! As a first-time voter and a new citizen of this nation, I was completely swept up in this process. I was grateful to have been able to cast a vote for a change that I believe so desperately needed to happen. Exciting times are ahead and I look forward to continuing my political education in this country.

felicity said...

By the way - I'm Felicity Salmon - Nathaniel's spouse, Chelle, Leesh, Chris and Brig's friend. Thanks for your comments on our blog a few weeks ago!

Unknown said...

I am a Democrat, Catholic White American Women living in Cincinnati Ohio. I came across your blog by hitting the next blog button. When I read your thoughts on the election it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for writing this, I see that your feelings were very heartfelt and I loved reading your childrens comments also. You seemed to have raised very kind compassionate children and that is the greatest gift we can give to the world.